Syttende Mai Festival 2018Name: Syttende Mai Festival 2018Date: May 18, 2018 - May 20, 2018Website: Stoughton Syttende Mai Festival 2018Event Description:
Celebrate Norwegian Heritage
at the Stoughton Syttende Mai Festival
Visit Stoughton's Syttende Mai festival for a weekend of family-friendly fun and cultural experiences where there’s something for everyone. Come join us for three days of parades, arts, food and drink, kids’ activities and plenty of Norwegian culture for the whole family.
Syttende Mai takes place annually on the weekend closest to Norway’s Constitution Day, celebrated in Norway on May 17th. From the late 1800s to the early 1900s, Stoughton enjoyed an influx of Norwegians and at one time, as many as 75 percent of its residents spoke Norwegian. These immigrants celebrated Syttende Mai unofficially, but it became an annual, city-wide tradition in the 1950s. 2018 marks the 65th consecutive year the festival has been organized by the Stoughton Chamber of Commerce. Norwegians throughout the world continue to celebrate May 17 as Syttende Mai, the Norwegian Constitution Day.
The Stoughton Syttende Mai festival features Norwegian and American music, cultural performances, art, craft beer, amazing food, athletic competitions, and much more!
Some 2018 highlights...
- Stoughton Norwegian Dancers
- Norwegian Heritage Center-Livsreise
- Edvard Grieg Chorus at the Stoughton Opera House
- 20-Mile Run from Madison’s Capitol Building to Stoughton
- Hardanger Fiddle Performances
- Norse Costume Style Show
- Viking Games Strongman Compeition – USSC Sanctioned
- Norwegian Traditional Foods, Sit-down meals
- Food Trucks
- Canoe Race & Portage on the Yahara River
- Norwegian Rosemaling Folk Art Painting - Exhibits and Sales
- Craft Beer Tent (featuring exclusive releases!)
- Saturday Youth Parade
- Norwegian Parade - Sunday
- Stoughton Village Players Theater Original Presentation
- Arts & Crafts Fair
Chamber Community Expo
April 19th, 5-7:30pm, Mandt Community Center, 400 Mandt Parkway, Stoughton
Come see what the Stoughton Business Community has to offer! Open to the public, free to attend.