Destination Stoughton- A Norwegian Weekend of Fun The Stoughton Norwegian Summit Group, an informal group of Norwegian themed businesses, groups and organizations, builds a weekend of Norse opportunities around a signature event. The group was organized in 2011 under the leadership of Sons of Norway- Mandt Lodge to bring “all those things Norwegian” together to help promote each other’s events, activities, businesses, and organizations. The group helps promote two Destination Weekends each year and of course, all are busy Syttende Mai Weekend!
Our “featured” event: The Stoughton Norwegian Dancers- Norse Afternoon of Fun 2024. The internationally known Stoughton Norwegian Dancers will present their annual “Norse Afternoon of Fun” performance on Sun., Feb. 4th, 2024, at 1:30pm. The event will be held at the Stoughton High School Gym, 600 Lincoln Ave, Stoughton, WI 53589. Check out all the details at www.facebook.com/NorwegianDancers. This annual community event is the Norwegian Dancers’ answer to “cabin fever”. The combination of colorful Norwegian costumes (bunads), rousing music and exuberant ethnic folk dancing produces the necessary elements to relieve the “winter blues”. The event this year will have school district members speaking, Syttende Mai royalty appearances, Dancing by the Dancers and plenty of Scandinavian music and humor!
Other events and happenings in Stoughton that weekend:
On Thursday, February 1, Sons of Norway- Mandt Lodge will hold its weekly video series- this one on beer! These will be held downstairs at Sons of Norway, there is no charge, and no reservations are needed.
Livsreise, the Norwegian Heritage Center, 277 W. Main Street, Stoughton, WI 53589. Website: www.livsreise.org. Innovators and Inventors is an exciting exhibit on loan from the Vesterheim Museum that celebrates the creativity and ingenuity of Norwegian immigrants and their descendants in America. This exhibit will also highlight some contemporary women inventors or innovators and others with ties to Wisconsin. The hours are 9:30 AM-12:00 PM, 12:30 PM-5:00 PM, Tuesdays through Saturdays.
Nordic Nook- 176 West Main Street, Stoughton, WI 53589. Hours for that weekend are Friday and Saturday 10-5 and Sunday 10-4. Sale items include Dale of Norway Sweaters 30% off weekend only on current inventory, Scandinavian Explorer coats, vests, sweatshirts etc, 30% off current inventory, Rokk merchandise… 30% off current inventory, plus several other products.
Visit our displays on Sunday at Norse Afternoon of Fun at the Stoughton High School
• Norwegian American Genealogical Center & Naeseth Library in Madison – NAGC & NL serves a worldwide audience by building and sharing stellar research collections, publishing useful and popular genealogical materials, and reaching out to all those who seek to know and venerate their Norwegian roots. We have been teaching in-person and virtual classes, providing programs for Sons of Norway and other group meetings, and are open to have people come in for research.
• Sons of Norway-Mandt Lodge- Sons of Norway is a fraternal organization for all ages, genders, and ethnic backgrounds for those who have an interest in Norwegian heritage and culture. Visit with us about our events, membership, classes, and youth activities.
• Stoughton Chamber and Visitor Services- Learn what is happening around Stoughton!
• Livsreise, the Norwegian Heritage Center- Will have information about their facility and exhibits
• Stoughton Historical Society- Will have information about the Stoughton Historical Society and membership.
• Koshkonong Prairie Historical Society- Will have information about the Koshkonong Prairie Historical Society and membership.